All about us
Friends of Lamerton School (FoLS)
We are fortunate at our school to have a PTA that is and has been an integral part of the school community for many years. In it’s time, the PTA has raised thousands of pounds, which has been spent on equipment and resources to enhance our children’s educational experience.
However our PTA is about much more than simply fundraising. The PTA exists to provide closer links between home and school and it is an excellent way to bring staff, parents and friends together socially in support of the school, working towards a common goal.
Lamerton School PTA (Friends of Lamerton School/FOLS) is a registered charity, number 1056785.
We are always looking for input and suggestions on what else we can do to support this fabulous school. If you have any comments or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know. We look forward to hearing from you.
Our aims are to:
- Develop effective relationships between the staff, parents and others associated with the school
- Arrange events and activities that raise funds for equipment and projects in school to enhance the education of the pupils
- Organise social events for the enjoyment of the pupils, their families and the wider community.
- Support the school in making the leaving year a special one for pupils.
In 2017/18 we raised an incredible £3113.65. Our biggest fundraising events were the Christmas Fair (£794.24) and the Snail Race Event (£757.78).
Our main way of raising money is through a series of social events for adults and children which include:
- Christmas Fayre
- Carol singing
- Making and selling of Christmas wreaths
- Easyfundraising – please see below
- And new fun events such as the Snail Race
Your support is vital to the success of the PTA. Without the generous donations and contributions from everyone who attends the PTA events we would not be able to provide all that we do. You can support our fundraising efforts by using Easy Fundraising to shop. Please spread the word to your family and friends!
Use easyfundraising to shop with over 3,300 retailers including Amazon, Argos, John Lewis, ASOS, Booking.com, eBay, Boden, and M&S.
Every time you shop, you’ll raise a free donation for our school.
Please also see the information in the ‘Fundraising Events and News’ section.
How we use the funds we raise
Mrs Sterry and the FOLS team meet each year to consider and plan our fundraising events and ways in which these funds can enrich the children at school.
The funds are spent on the ‘extras’ that are not provided by the school’s budget to directly benefit our children. In the last year, funds have been used to pay for:
- Transport for school trips
- Christmas party crackers
- Gifts for Year 6 leavers
- School trips – recently to Morwelham Quay, Christmas Pantomime at Theatre Royal
- Barn Owl Trust visit
- Space Dome visit
- End of year whole school trip to Dartmoor Zoo
Please refer to the Treasurer’s Report for more details.
There are also times when we fundraise for a large project such as books for school (£1000 spent) during 2017/2018. However, whilst saving for these, we have still managed to find funds for smaller items thanks to your generous and continued support.
This year we hope that the funds raised via FOLS events can be used as follows:
- A contribution for each class towards a class trip
- £500 to support the curriculum such as to raise new DT equipment for school
- £1000 towards our ‘big’ two year project to raise funds for new IT equipment for each class
Keeping you updated
Our Annual General Meeting is held at the beginning of the academic year and provides an opportunity for all parents to come along and hear in more detail about our work, the events we have run, the funds we have raised and how the money has been spent. It is also the occasion when we elect our new committee members and discuss our upcoming fundraising events.
Our subsequent meetings are held termly. Minutes of the meetings will be saved on the website and this will include a roundup of recent events, details of the total amount raised this school year/term, any items we have bought for the school.
We will also write to you via book bags or Parent Mail. The letters include information on forthcoming events and dates plus requests for assistance, when we are planning larger events. We will keep you updated after an event to let you know how much was raised, and if we can, we tell you what the money will be spent on.
For informal updates and information, we have a FOLS WhatsApp Group. If you would like to be added to this group, please pass your mobile number to us and we will ensure you are included.
Ways to get involved
Every parent at the school is a member of the PTA and there are lots of ways parents can get involved.
- Everybody is welcome to attend the PTA meetings which are normally held each term. We try to alternate between a day time meeting and an evening one, to enable as many people as possible to attend
- FOLS also send out letters detailing the help that would be greatly received. These detail all the activities we are involved in and what help will be needed.
- Donations from parents are extremely important. You can donate ideas, time, items for sale or raffle prizes for example.
Why we are a Registered Charity?
The Charities Act 1993 requires organisations such as ours with an annual income in excess of £1,000 to register with the Charity Commission. As a Charity we must abide by Charity Commission rules and regulations and we are bound by a Constitution. Our Constitution lays down rules about how we operate as a PTA and how we conduct ourselves. Being a Registered Charity gives us many extra benefits.
- We are able to apply for Gift Aid, which can earn us an extra 28.2p in every pound donated to the PTA.
- We can raise funds more easily from grant giving trusts, local businesses etc.
- We can take advantage of charity matched giving schemes
Links with local businesses
We have, over time, developed strong links with the local community and are always well supported by both residents and businesses, for which we are very grateful. Many of our local businesses are very generous providing donations for raffle prizes, auction items etc and some have taken part in our Christmas and summer fairs.